It occured to me a couple of weeks ago that I never finished writing about the nest and what happened to the birds.
The short answer to that is
I dont know.
I started to hear the babies a couple of weeks after my first post about the birds. It was, at first, sweet, but later it almost became annoying as they called out hungry, or alone in the nest.
I did enjoy watching the adult birds darting back and forth on their feeding missions,..struggling little bugs hanging out of their beaks.
Then one night, we had a hell of a storm. Don and Lori were over and we sat on the back porch while the wind whipped and wailed, tossing branches from the trees and knocking over the lawn chairs.
The next morning I saw the birds going from their perch to the ground and knew the babies had been blown from the next. A couple of days later I heard the catbird going crazy and went out to find him flying wildly in and out of one of my potted plants, missy underneath, and one of the babies with her pouncing distance.
I chased Missy away and tried to catch the baby, who, despite not being able to fly, was faster than me. He went into the hedges where I listened to him call for his mother,..agonizingly, for hours.
And that was the last I heard of the Catbirds. I never found mangled little bodies, so I have hope that they relocated somewhere away from our cats.
No comments:
Post a Comment