As I begin this post I am listening to the live feed from the senate floor on the Debt Ceiling debate. Sen. John McCain and the good Senator from Illinois have just had a lively and fascinating exchange that was both civil and humorous, while being diametrically opposed. ahh,..the way things are supposed to be. Intelligent, respectful, debate. It probably wont happen again. It's enjoyable to listen to though.
I had a really special American Government teacher when I was in high school, he, and our Free Enterprise teacher combined to give me not only an interest in politics, but an understanding of my personal responsibility in the process. My vote counts. Mr. Miller, and Mr. Boles,..I have never forgotten that. I educate myself (harder to do now than it was in the 70's) and I exercise my constitutional right and responsibility to vote. I have also tried to instill that thinking into my children. I took them out of school to hear Bill Clinton speak in Billings, we've had years of conversations and debates around the kitchen table about the responsibility of political awareness and participation. The oldest gets it,..the other two dont have the time or the interest.
It's too bad,..these are fascinating, and oftentimes depressing times in politics. There are very few places to get an completely unvarnished education on the issues. Factcheck.org, is one, but there aren't a lot. What this means is actually getting the facts, and only the facts, with which to form your political opinions is tough. It's human nature to gravitate toward one media outlet or another that has your personal interests outwardly at hand. But, even the websites that lean in my direction,..lean too far on the left, and too often, the truth. Reason minded people want the facts, and only the facts, given to them by people who dont have a dog in the fight. If you are being responsible about your vote, the way that I was taught to be,..it's next to impossible to get a clear and honest view of the issues. I often wonder what channel Mr. Miller watches on TV now, Fox or MSNBC. I heard him lecture on politics, during the Watergate scandal, for over a year, and I never heard him identify himself with one political party or another. He was a good teacher.
The vote has been taken,..50-49, but not by the majority, so it doesnt pass. Another speedbump and we are heading into the great unknown. There are hints in the news that the GOP is working around the Democratic party directly with the president,..that, if true, will be noted in the next election. Everyone is mad. People are already losing money in the market, seniors are worried their SS checks wont be in the mail on Tuesday, and all of our elected officials seem to be running around, spouting talking points, and getting no where. A very learned voter I know said today he wont be voting for any incumbents,.. (Tea Party thinking?,,ARGH!)....
I will try and post back when this is said, and done, or not done,...


No comments:
Post a Comment