Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday morning mindset

Here's the plan,...

finish my coffee, fluff the clothes in the dryer and go out into the garden.

I thank God, quite literally for the garden. This week I thanked him for the Irises that bloomed in the backyard. I'd planted them in the summer of 2009 and they didnt bloom the following year. I wasnt sure if they were the lovely mauve iris that I got from crazy Debbie, or if they were lavendar ones I got from Jeannette twenty years ago and have moved around every since. They were the mauve, and I thanked him for their lovely color and lemony scent. The round bed is looking exceptional this year. Even with the ugly green truck in the background.'

And the iris are lovely

They have more pink in them than the picture shows,..

There is of course, a story behind these,..isn't there always? They were given to me by an out of control employee who quit the day before I planned to fire her. Which was a good thing I guess. I had only had to fire one other person before and while she definitely had to go, the whole affair made me sick at my stomach for days. It was the same with crazy Debbie,..she was a lawsuit waiting to happen,..wouldn't listen, take instruction,..always imposing her ideas of right and wrong into her work, which doesn't play well in a black and white business. Going through the process of verbal warning, written warning,..was agonizing. She would drunk dial me at home afterward,...repeatedly, until I answered,..then, she wouldn't remember it the next day. I planned to let her go the day I got back from vacation and put it off because there was just so much to do that day. The next morning I came in to find her resignation on my desk. Hysterically, when she left Forsyth months later, I would get requests for letters of recommendation from her,..and for a time she would accidentally e-mail me when she meant to e-mail another Tina, another Tina who she was having issues with. Crazy Debbie,...the iris are beautiful, and what I have learned from them, in the garden, is that no matter how negative a situation may seem something good always comes out of it. Years from now I will probably forget where they came from,the way I have so many other gifts in my garden. They will just be beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment