Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Nest June 22, 2011

Ordinarilly, at this time of year I would be spending my lunch hours at the damn staring at the river. But with the Yellowstone over it's banks, the park at the damn has been closed and access denied. I miss the river, but the catbirds and their nest have captivated me in such a way that I'm not feeling the loss. Each morning before work,..and on my lunch hour, I sit at the table and watch them come and go,..and listening to their song. I read that they are the best teachers to help people learn to identifiy a birds song. Partly because there song is distinct, and partly because they are usually the first to begin their song each day, and the last to end it. Giving them space to be soloists. It's a beautiful song, and I hope to record it and place it here,..so when the winter has taken over my yard I can come back and remember it. Joy.
Also, joyful, is David's recent visits to the house. The tension is gone between the three of us and we have had dinner a couple of times. David came and mowed the lawn yesterday, which was stressing George out because he was too tired at the end of the day to do it. We are talking openly about the baby now,..doubts at bay, and supportive of him.
There are many blessings these days,..the scent of the iris throughout the yard is sweet and heavy. The roses are beginning to bloom and the daylillies are sending up scafes that will soon produce a wash of color, yellow for the Happy Returns, and pink, for Rosy Returns (then maybe I can find her). All of the rain that was so depressing has nourished the yard in a way I have never seen. Vibrant green grass, prolific daisies and the ornamental grasses are taking the water like fertilizer. The bird cages and planters look good too.
It's a lovely spring to see and smell and listening to the catbirds song gives it a soundtrack that is nourishing my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment