Weathering the storm. Again. Too often this life feels like that's all that I do. Weather storms. Head down,..keep going. The latest storm was like one of those summer reports from accuweather,..unstable air,..rising pressure, dark clouds that hover, pour and then blow away only to be followed by more dark clouds that hover, pour and then blow away.
The pain had been coming and going for weeks. Grudgingly he would take some advil and complain, but it got to a point that he decided to go to a dentist. Went to the dentist. The dentist gave him nothing but a laundry list of procedures on eight teeth that totaled 14K. No antibiotics, no pain medication. Just a diagnosis. He came home to consider options, financial and otherwise. With another appointment scheduled for later the next month. And then the storm blew up. The pain grew severe, fever, swelling and then a trip to another dentist that turned into a referral to an oral surgeon that turned into emergency surgery. Two days in ICU and another day and a half in the hospital. Every moment stressful and exhausting.
I brought him home, went for his prescriptions and shopping for food he could eat. He lumbered around the kitchen,..bitching about the shit hole it was,........but finally he took his pain medication and there was a couple of hours of close to normal with him in the bedroom, I thought, sleeping. I went in to check on him and he was in the pain position again. I asked if he wanted some medication, he said he "couldnt take it until tomorrow" (antibiotic, not pain medication) and then told me his stomach was rumbling and he couldnt take anything because of it. I asked if he wanted me to make him something to eat and he said "no you wont".
"No, you wont",....................WTF did that mean? I walked away.
This isnt the first time in this storm that I offered to help him and he rejected it. Other times he asked for something and then criticized or complained about how I had done it. Those times I walked away too. I know he's in pain, I've tried to be patient and understanding. I've bit my tongue over dozens of hateful comments and complaints,..walked away.
Head down,...keep going. Auto response.
No comments:
Post a Comment